Calligraphy "Hands" or Styles
See below for our selection of traditional or "classic" hand calligraphy styles to address your wedding or party invitations with elegance and sophistication!
Looking for a custom style? Hand calligraphy can be tailored to your specifications – slant, weight, and spacing can be fashioned to coordinate with your invitation. After Maureen reviews a proof of your invitation suite, she can suggest a style that will coordinate with it and create a sample for you to approve before she starts addressing.
TIP: Scripts with no slant or a slight slant will look more informal than scripts with a greater slant.
Maureen uses a left-indented style by envelope addressing, where each successive line is indented further to the left. The zip code appears on the same line as the city and state.
Looking for a custom layout? Want the zip code on its own line, the lines centered, or an extra flourish here and there? No worries! Let Maureen know in your instructions when you submit a request for quote!
And Yes! We can match the ink color to coordinate with your invitations.
How many extras should you order? Please provide at least 10% more envelopes than addresses for plain white or ecru envelopes, and 15% or more for other colors or metallic envelopes. We’ll return any unused blank envelopes.
Need more ideas? Visit our online portfolio to view custom styles we have designed for other clients.
See also Modern Calligraphy Styles.
To save on turn-around time, Maureen can hand-letter the guests’ names, then Don can print the addresses in an elegant block font to complement the calligraphy. However, this service isn’t available for metallic-coated envelopes since the printer ink sometimes doesn’t play well with coated papers.
How to Order
Submit a Request for Quote to ensure availability to address your cards. Computer calligraphy services are almost always available, but hand calligraphy may book up weeks in advance. We will confirm our availability after we receive your form.
- After receiving confirmation of our availability, please prepare your address list in Word or Excel, then email us the list. You can request a free copy of our Addressing Etiquette Guide by entering your email address in the Free Guide for Brides to Be box in the sidebar.
- Plan to provide a minimum of 10% more envelopes than addresses, with no fewer than 10 additional envelopes. For metallic-coated or dark envelopes, order 15% more.
- We’ll schedule an appointment for you to drop off your envelopes. You are also welcome to ship or courier them to us if that’s more convenient.
- After submitting your address list to us, we will email you a proof list with the details of your order. We won’t begin your envelopes until we receive email approval from you that your list is correct and ready to go.
- If you would like to see a sample envelope before we begin, please let us know and we’ll email you a photo of the first envelope for approval.
- You can add names or make changes to your list by emailing us ONLY the corrections, not the entire list again. If we have to process additional lists after the first one, administrative fees will apply.
- We’ll call or email you when the envelopes are ready for pick up or shipping, along with the balance due. All courier and shipping costs are the responsibility of the client.
- Payment is due when the order is picked up or before shipping. If someone else is picking up your order, make sure they have payment available, or that you have called us beforehand with your credit card information. Our policy is that no orders are released until payment is received.
- If you prefer, we can keep a few blank envelopes on hand in case of any last minute changes.